Thursday, December 25, 2008

Working During the Holidays

So I’ve had to work during the holidays this year. The reason being that half of my vacation days will be over by February. And I can’t use ‘em all up when people have made plans to come here, now can I?.... Uhhh, so I was pretty much content with my decision until Christmas Eve.

My birthday was good, no qualms there. The most dangerous man on the entire planet invited me to his lair, where he eats babies, and THEN molests them. Can’t forget puppies/kittens and old people either. He made the best stir-fry I’ve ever had in Japan, and we proceeded to watch this sort of mystery rock musical. Went home, made myself a Mexican feast of epic proportions. Touched myself, then fell asleep.

Christmas Eve rolls around, doin’ fine. Then my JTE’s start to ask me what I’m doing for Christmas Eve. That's when it starts. I tell them I have no plans, and sympathetically they say, “Ohhhh…Well when does your sister come in?” On Sunday I say. “Ohhh, AFTER Christmas…Well I’m sure you’ll have fun. (Awkward Smile)” Happened twice pretty much the same way.

Then as I’m getting ready to unlock my bike and make another feast of epic proportions (chicken, mashed potatoes, and stuffing, all splattered with my “Homemade Gravy”), my vice-principal comes up to me. “Hi Mashoo! What you do, uh, tonight?” Making a big dinner, spreading my hands out. “Be with Girlfriendo?” No, no, no, bitches are too complicated. “Friendo?” All out of town. “… Your sister come Sunday “Ne”? Sounds,…fun. Haha… Seeyou!”



Christmas Day. Because of the incredibly awkward conversations the day before, they all avoid me except for saying “Good Morning” and “Merry Christmas.” My direct supervisor, though, gave me a tea-cup with all the kanji for different fish. She also managed to take out all of the chocolates beforehand, and then put it back in it’s package. It’s the thought that counts of course, and of course I was happy to get a present.

Mark my words though. I’m never, with all the power I have, not working on Christmas ever again. EVER. It doesn’t matter where I’m at next year, but I will not be in the school.

Cultural Note:

1. JTE – Japanese Teacher of English, Native Japanese English speakers.
2. “Ne” – Sort of like fishing for an agreement at the end of a sentence, like, “Right?”
3. Kanji – (Khan-Jee) – Japanese alphabet of pictographs.

No comments: