Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Students

The kids are pretty cool too. I’m honing the art of my jikoshokai’s. I’ve basically made every question into a game. They go ape shit when they get points and by the end, it’s like watching Maury when the guy finds out he’s not the father. ALL, for a Winnie the Pooh sticker, who they call Pooh-San.

They all ask the same questions too. If I’m teaching with a woman, they ask if I like her. They also ask if I have a GF, and when I say no, they ask if I like boys. That answer changes everytime. Lastly they all ask which sports I like/play. Pocket Pool is the only one that ever comes to mind.

Sometimes after class too, they’ll ask for my signature on their notebooks, or tell me to stay after school so I can play with them. My response that that is, the only game I play with kids is Doctor, and teenagers are waaay too old.

The Jr. Highs here are split up into three grades which are 7th-9th back home, but are referred to as 1st–3rd graders. The 1st are the loudest and roudiest, the 2nd graders are interested and fun, and the 3rd graders are apathetic and quiet.

Overall though, I’m having a blast with the kids. They make the job more interesting & fun.

Cultural Notes
1. Jikoshokai - (Gee-ko-show-chi/kai) Self introductions made usually in Japanese, but for the sake of the lesson and the games, in English
2. Maury Paternity Test - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD78-CCPhAQ

No comments: