Sunday, February 22, 2009

Chinese food/ Pizza Hut/ Shabu Shabu (Osaka Food)

The Chinese food in Osaka is exceptional, but I think it’s only because it tastes a lot like the Chinese back home. We ate Mabo Tofu, grilled vegetables, and some shumai. The only problem was that it was run by Chinese people. And despite it being Japan, this close to China… you never know what’s going into that food…do…ca…pand… MSG! NOOO!

I also had Pizza Hut for the first time in years. It was amazing.

Shabu Shabu is a pretty good local specialty too. The great thing about shabu shabu is the peanut sauce. It might even be better than yakiniku sex sauce. I was putting peanut sauce on everything, including my nipples. I ruined my shirt.

Cultural Note:

1. Mabo Tofu – (Mah-bow Toe-foo) – A Chinese dish made with ground beef and tofu. It is seasoned with a generous portion of ground and chopped red peppers and a soy sauce base. Usually served with or over rice.
2. Shumai – (Shoe-my) – A Chinese steamed dumpling with various fillings.
3. Shabu Shabu – (Shah-boo Shah-boo) – Beef, noodles, tofu, and vegetables cooked in boiling hot water and then dipped into different sauces. The amount of time the ingredients are in the boiling water is generally very short. The title comes from the sounds the ingredients make when “swooshed” in the water.

No comments: